According to researchers at Duke University, only about 43% of 18-29 year olds voted in 2016 (Duke 2018).
I think there are a lot of reasons that prompted so many young adults not to vote: Accessibility to a voting station, lack of knowledge about the nominees, time management, and of course the small percentage who simply don’t care.
This election, I believe things will be different. A lot has happened since the last election. The recent events of the pandemic and the digital civil war playing out on social media has prompted young people to be more socially and politically conscious. I am hopeful my peers will participate in this upcoming election! Below I included resources and dates to remember.
Register to vote: https://www.votetexas.gov/register/index.html
- You must be registered at least 30 days before the voting day. Deadline is Oct. 5
Early Voting: https://www.bexar.org/2237/Early-Vote-Information
- Tuesday Oct. 13 – Friday, Oct. 30 (NVC will have in person early voting)
- Tuesday, Nov. 3. You can vote at ANY polling location including NVC.
- For more info https://www.bexar.org/2229/Voter-Registration-Check-Polling-Locatio
- NVC dates and info https://www.alamo.edu/nvc/calendar/2020/november/votingday/
By NVC Student Haneen Rafati